Sunday, August 26, 2012

Willalooka

I arrived in Bordertown SA on saturday the 18.08. and was picked up by my little brother. He has been working on a station here for nearly 2 years and I am staying and working here the next 3 months.
We live 80km away from the next town and there is pretty much only sheep and cattle around.
Every saturday we go into town to go shopping and thats about it. The local pub is the place to go when youve had enough of the solitarity .

 This week I have learnt to drive a quad and a ride on mower. The first few days I mowed a whole lot of gras and sprayed herbicides to remove weeds. On the third day I managed to break the mower, sprayer and hand mower... thats just me :-P but its all good.
The rest of the working week I had to pick up lots of sticks and stones so I could continue mowing, index all the chemicals and pressure clean some toilets. That was really dirty work.


On friday we head out to the pub for a few beers and some potato wedges with some new friends.
Well and today we went quad riding.. round up some sheep to make them run 4 paddocks over and had lots of fun cruising around.




Life in the country is a bit different. Dogs are not pets but just for working. Rabbits are pests and get poisend, bashed over the head as a weekend activity or shot with a shotgun.
And rubbish disposal .. well... non existent. The picture of the ute is me at the rubbish dump on the station. They just burn everything. You pretty much work from sun up to sun down. At the moment thats 10 hours with 1 hours lunch brake.
They have beatiful sun sets here and I love all the different parrotts and birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment